Homemade Cheese with Milk, Yogurt, and Lemon: A Simple and Delicious Recipe
Making cheese at home might sound complex, but it’s surprisingly simple and rewarding. With just a few common ingredients – milk, yogurt, and lemon – you can create delicious, healthy, and cost-effective cheese. Here’s a step-by-step guide to making your homemade cheese, perfect for beginners and seasoned cooks alike.
- 1 liter of whole milk
- 1 cup of unsweetened natural yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Cotton towel
- Small saucepan
- 12 cm mold (or similar)
- Boiling the Milk:
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Let it boil for 15 minutes, then add the lemon juice and yogurt.
- Creating the Curds:
- Stir the mixture gently for a few seconds, then turn off the heat.
- Let it sit for at least 3 hours to allow the curds to form.
- Straining the Mixture:
- Place the cotton towel over a strainer and set it on top of the mold.
- Pour the mixture through the strainer to separate the cheese curds from the whey.
- Final Steps:
- Transfer the curds to the refrigerator and let them set for 30 minutes.
- After this time, add a bit of salt and leave it in the fridge for another 8 hours.
At this point, your delicious homemade cheese is ready to be enjoyed! The process, as you can see, is more straightforward than you might think. The key to success lies in using fresh, quality ingredients and following the procedure carefully.
Making cheese at home is not just a culinary activity; it’s an experience. The difference in taste and texture when you prepare it with your own hands is incomparable. Whether you’re looking to prepare a starter, a cheese sandwich, or just enjoy it as is, homemade cheese offers a unique flavor that store-bought cheese simply can’t match. Give it a try, and you might find yourself making it regularly!